About Alan Jervis
Alan Jervis is an accredited Expert Determiner specialising in the insurance sector and trade disputes, and also an experienced Expert Witness.
In order to best serve his clients, Alan is committed to remaining up to date on industry practices as well as changes in the legal, regulatory and economic environment. He is an active insurance practitioner, currently engaged in consultancy services in the field of marine and liability underwriting.
He teaches insurance courses on a regular basis and participates in insurance education initiatives. Alan also attends professional development courses to build on his existing expertise and to ensure that he is current on industry practices.
- Over 40 years experience as an insurance underwriter, claims adjuster, subrogation specialist and teacher to various industries.
- Working experience in the UK, London, French, Canadian and American insurance industries.
- Retained as an expert witness in over 40 cases in the United Kingdom, Canada, USA and Singapore.
- Testified as an expert at 3 trials and over 12 pre trial hearings and depositions.
- Elected as Fellow of the Chartered Insurance Institute and earned the designation ‘Chartered Insurer’ in 1985.
- Elected as a full practising member of the Academy of Experts in 2020
- Elected as a Member of the Rules and Practice Committee of the Association of Average Adjusters from 1994 to 2000
- Elected as a Member of the Loss Prevention Committee of the International Union of Marine Insurance from 1993 to 1998
- Elected as a Member of the Joint IUMI and International P and I Working Group on general Average in 1996
- Elected as Vice-President Canadian Board of Marine Underwriters 199 to 2000
- President and Chief Agent of Maritime Insurance Company, Canada 1994 to 1996
- President of Canada Security Insurance Company 1989 to 1995
- Owner and President of underwriting agency from 1996 to 2000
- Responsible for run off of property and casualty business for Norwich Union Insurance Group Canada 1985 to 1996
- Over 3 years experience as agent
- Handled property and casualty claims from 2010 to 2011
- Underwriting manager of marine insurer from 2011 to 2018
- Accredited course provider for the Chartered Insurance Institute, London
- Former accredited course provider for the Insurance Institute of Canada, IBAO and RIBO
- Taught over 250 courses in marine, energy, liability, property and casualty insurance to insurance and non insurance industry professionals in the UK, Singapore, Hong Kong, Malta, Canada and the United States
Jervis ICI Ltd.